At Richard Cobden School, learning is our priority; whether it is academic learning; learning in the Arts and Physical Education, learning to be a good citizen; learning to triumph over challenges or learning to respect ourselves and others.
Our curriculum is designed to meet the requirements of the national curriculum and to:
- provide every child with their right to a high quality education embedded in an inspiring and creative curriculum, enriched with opportunities to stretch their individual talents and interests
- enable every child to use well developed oracy skills to think, learn, reason, explore, communicate, create and influence
- develop every child’s ability to be a creative thinker and problem solver
- help every child to develop independence and resilience to enable them to be responsible and accountable for their learning and behaviour
- ensure every child is heard, understood and valued
- enable every child’s learning experience to be enriched with an inspiring arts programme, including specialist music teaching and professional artists
- provide an inclusive sporting curriculum led by PE specialists to improve physical literacy, promote fitness, develop competitiveness and build character
Our curriculum is organised into topics which have been purposefully selected to ignite children’s interests and connect them to the world around them. These topics incorporate the knowledge and skills of each of the different curriculum areas while promoting the links within and across subjects so that there is continuity and progression, challenge and depth. Where particular subject learning does not connect sensibly to a topic, this is taught discretely.
We aim to help the children understand that the more knowledge they acquire, the more they can develop their understanding of the world around them and begin to think creatively and critically about it.
Our curriculum is extensively enriched with well-planned trips, workshops and experiences which are closely linked to the curriculum objectives. These ensure the children at Richard Cobden School develop the confidence to connect with the opportunities, experiences and resources in their locality and beyond – enabling them to view themselves as important contributors and influencers of their environment.